Are you interested to have your homes fenced? You may want to try vinyl fencing. Vinyl fences are popular nowadays as they give the property an added aesthetic appeal.
Low maintenance, durable, easy to install, offers privacy and protection, these are the advantages of a vinyl fence. When compared to wood fencing, vinyl fencing price may be higher, but it becomes economical in the long-run.
A vinyl fence is so durable that it can last for years with very little to no maintenance. Thus, it is a top choice for many homeowners who want value for money purchases.
Vinyl Fence Installation Average Cost
On the average, the main costs have the following averages:
- Vinyl Fence (6 ft fence) can cost $20.00 to $50.00 per linear foot depending on the design.
- Cost to install vinyl fence averages $6-$7 per foot.
Let’s compute for one sample project. For instance, a ground needing fencing measures 43 feet. The following will be the cost of the vinyl fence materials and installation:
|Cost of materials
|Gate Post Stiffeners
|Gate Panels, 4′ wide
|Gate Panels, 6′ wide
|Cost of installation
The inclusions are the costs for direct materials and direct labor only.
Installation done by professionals is fast. Usually, it takes the installers 2-3 weeks to finish the project.
Also, provide for the following necessary costs to complete the vinyl fence installation:
- Other Materials – Concrete, gravel, and vinyl adhesive are additional materials needed for the project.
- Site Preparation – The property where the vinyl fence will be installed will require preparation such as the digging of holes and uprooting or clearing of certain plants, among others.
- Site Clean-up – After the installation, there will be debris and disarray on the property. Site clean-up is another cost to consider.
Other Costs to Consider
- Accessories – Various accessories for a vinyl fence are available such as gate pockets, caps, and post skirts. These are additional purchase decisions for the project.
- Shipping Costs – If the seller of the vinyl fence materials is from off-state, expect to pay shipping fees.
- Delivery Costs – How far the location of the property is from the store will determine the delivery fees. Because the main materials are large and quite heavy, it would need a truck to deliver them to the property. Some companies offer free delivery costs for a minimum purchase cost.
- Permits – Before starting your project, get a fence permit application from your local building department. Inspection may also be conducted. There may be costs involved in permits and inspections depending on the locality.
- Supervision Fee – there would be an additional charge corresponding to around 14% to 17% of the total project cost if you want the contractor to take charge of the project.
- Cost to Protect Existing Structure – If the installation of the vinyl fence affects existing structures, you may need to pay for costs to protect said structures.
When choosing where to buy your vinyl fencing, look at some sellers. Compare not only the prices but also the other costs considerations.
Also, although some people like the do-it-yourself approach when installing a vinyl fence, others would rather hire a professional. It is also important that the installers chosen have the required insurance and licenses.
The American Fence Association has a Member Locator you can utilize to know the vinyl fence providers in your area.
Vinyl Fence Installation Cost Factors
The following are the drivers of vinyl fence installation:
- Type of Vinyl Fence – Vinyl fence is of different types. Privacy or semi-privacy fences cost more than picket or post & rail vinyl fences.
- Height of Vinyl Fence – Vinyl fences are of different heights. Standard fence heights range from 3 feet to 8 feet. The higher the height, the more expensive the fence is.
- Design of Vinyl Fence – Vinyl is very flexible. It has numerous designs. It can even mimic the look of wood. Also, the panels can be either pre-assembled panels or snap-together planks. The various designs available have different costs.
- Quality and durability – Vinyl fences are expected to be durable. It is expected to survive different types of climate and strong winds. The more durable and quality-made a fence is, the higher will be its price. The pricier vinyl fences usually have aluminum or steel inserts in the posts or rails for added durability.
- Warranty – Vinyl fences usually have warranties. The number of years involved, however, may differ per manufacturer. The limited lifetime warranty offered by manufacturers due to environmentally induced wear and tear is usually from 10-20 years. With the expected long use of the fences, the warranty feature is very important. Companies offering longer warranties sell more expensive vinyl fences.
- Ease of Installation – The ease or difficulty of installation is a very important cost driver. The ease of access of the installers to the site should also be considered. Rocky grounds, slopes, trees, underground utilities all make installation laborious. The longer the installation time, the higher the cost.
- Experience of the Installer – The more experience the installer has in the industry, the higher is the installation cost.
What Else You Need to Know
It is important that you know the local fence regulations. What you want may not be allowed, for instance regarding fence height. It is better to know what parameters you have in fencing your property before you make further decisions.
Also, if you live in a subdivision with a planned design for the houses and grounds, it is better to consult the subdivision or community officers first. It is best to follow the local and subdivision regulations to avoid waste of money.
Interested to DIY the vinyl fence installation? A vinyl fence installation is considered a moderately-complexed project. If you are up to it, then why not?
You will be able to save some money if you DIY the project. Town & Country Fence offers a DIY kit for just $1,550. The kit includes 10 sections with panels of 80 feet long and 72 inches high. On the other hand, Wikihow gives a step-by-step guide on how to install your vinyl fence.
Some sellers also offer tips and advice on how to properly install your vinyl fencing. You just have to buy the needed materials and be ready with the tools required. The following are the tools you’ll need:
- Circular saw
- Cordless drill
- Drill bit set
- Framing square
- Line level
- Miter saw
- Posthole digger
- Safety glasses
- Tape measure